Almond and Chia seed slice
I went to the movies a few weeks ago with some of my favourites, and I brought a large pop corn, knowing I would feel crap afterwards but doing it anyway. I had made a sizeable dent into my oversize popcorn container before the opening credits, and my lovey friend next to me passed along some of her home baking. I knew straight away that it was good for me dressed up as chocolate slice, not because it tasted sub par, but I could taste all the things in there I knew were good for me – almonds, chia seeds and coconut.
I got the recipe the next day and have had stocks of it in the fridge ever since! Take literally 5-10 min to make and its a much better alternative for me to junk when I need a quick bit to eat while I’m staring into the fridge aimlessly. Added bonus – my fussy kids eat it! Winning!
The recipe comes from here – but I have altered it slightly and also added coconut oil as it helped it to bind better for me to make more of a slice feel.
1 1/2 cup dates
2-3 tablespoons of cacao powder (I used cocoa powder)
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- In your food processor, blitz one cup of almonds until they are fine like almond meal
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the food processor
- Blitz until the mixture is dough like. This may take a bit of time depending on the power of your food processor. You also may need to stop the food processor several times & scrape down the sides
- Once the mixture is soft & dough like place press into a slice pan that has been lined with baking paper
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving